top of page
Concealed Handgun Permit FAQs

New Permits:


Q:Do I have to make an appointment to submit my application?

A:At this time, we do ask that you call (303) 582-1060 to make an appointment to submit your application.



Q:How long do I have to wait to get my permit?

A:The processing time varies. We can advise current processing time when you submit your application. If there is a problem, we will contact you by phone or by mail.



Q:I've already had my fingerprints done for CBI (teacher, real estate agent, etc.) do I have to do them again?

A:Yes. CBI requires a new set of fingerprints be done for all new CHP applications.



Firearms Training:


Q:Do you accept a Hunter Safety card for firearms training?

A:At this time we do not.



Q:Where do I go for firearms training?

A:You need to locate a certified (NRA, police, government) instructor. They usually have classes through either a shooting range, a sporting goods store, or independently.



Q:What type of firearms training class do I need to take?

A:A personally attended handgun class given by a "certified" instructor is required. Internet-based training where no direct contact with an instructor, firearms, or physical environment is insufficient.



Address Change:


Q:I got my permit in Gilpin County and now I'm moving to another county, how do I transfer the permit (or vice versa)?

A:You don't. As of 2003 your permit is valid statewide. You will need to update your address with us (the original issuing agency).



Q:Do I have to submit the address change form in person?

A:No, you can have the form notarized and then you can mail it in.



Q:How long do I have after I move to submit my address change?

A:You are required to notify us within 30 days or you could be subject to a Class 1 Petty Offense.




Q:How long do I have to wait to receive my renewed permit?

A:Typically between 2-6 weeks, depending on our and CBI's workload.



Q:Do I need to take another firearms training class each time I renew?

A:Not if you’re training has been within the last 10 years.


Q:I got my permit in Gilpin County but now I live in another county and my permit is going to expire soon. What do I do?

A:Per Colorado Revised Statutes, you can renew with the agency in the county that you currently reside.



Q:My permit expired more than 6 months ago, can I still renew it?

A:No. You only have up to 6 months past the expiration to renew it, after that it is permanently expired.



New Resident/Out of state permits:


Q:I just moved here, can I use my out-of-state permit while I'm waiting for the Colorado permit?

A:Yes, if it's within 90 days of your move. Once you become a Colorado resident, your out-of-state permit is no longer reciprocal.



Q:I just moved here from out of state, can I apply for a permit right away?

A:No. You must present your CO Drivers License or ID card when you submit your application.



Q:Does my out of state permit suffice for firearm's training?

A:No. We need to see your original firearm's training certificate that was issued in the last 10 years.



Q:What other state(s) is my permit valid in?

A:You can check the Colorado reciprocity on CBI's website for the most up-to-date information: CBI Reciprocity


Q: I am a resident of the State of Colorado, yet I have a permit from another state (Utah, Florida, etc.). Is my permit good in the State of Colorado?

A: No. Per legislation signed into law in May 2007, if you are a resident of the State of Colorado (i.e., have a Colorado Driver’s License or ID card) and possess a permit from another state, that permit is no longer valid in the State of Colorado (check the issuing state to see if it is still valid in other states). If you are a Colorado resident and want to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Colorado, you must apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State of Colorado per the instructions outlined on this website.



bottom of page